Am I eligible for Social Security Disability Benefits if I have PTSD?

Am I eligible for Social Security Disability Benefits if I have PTSD? | Syracuse, NY MCV Law

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is an anxiety disorder triggered by experiencing or witnessing a traumatic event. Some individuals may develop the disorder after a person close to them experiences danger, is seriously injured, or dies suddenly.

Contact Us Today

Some people experience symptoms right after the event or trauma, but for others, symptoms may not appear or become a problem until much later.

Symptoms may include: repeatedly thinking about the trauma; nightmares or flashbacks; being constantly on guard; feeling anxious; feeling irritable or easily angered; an inability to concentrate; avoiding people or places that you associate with the trauma; loss of interest; keeping to yourself; panic attacks; physical symptoms; difficulty functioning in your daily life; abuse of alcohol or drugs; relationship problems and depression.

Treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder can involve counseling, cognitive-behavioral therapy, psychotherapy, antidepressant drugs, antipsychotic medications, or a combination of one or more of these treatments.

The effects of this condition can make day-to-day functioning difficult. Sometimes the symptoms are so severe that they interfere with an individual’s ability to work, in which case, they might be eligible for Social Security Disability Benefits.

In order to be eligible for Social Security Benefits, you will have to have detailed medical records of your condition. The records should describe a typical PTSD episode, the frequency and duration of any panic attacks and what causes your symptoms to become worse. It is also important for your doctor to comment on how your PTSD symptoms affect your ability to function at home and at work.

If you or someone close to you is suffering from PTSD, whether from military service or other traumatic injury or event, you maybe eligible for Social Security Benefits. You should contact an attorney to discuss your specific circumstances.