If I have been injured in a car accident, how do I get my lost wages?

If you have been injured in a car accident, No-Fault, with certain limitations, will pay your medical bills regardless of fault. In addition, No-Fault will pay your lost wages as well. In order to be eligible for lost wages, your treating physician must determine that you are unable to work due to the injury sustained in the car accident. You must request that your physician fill out a No-Fault form certifying that you are disabled due to the car accident, the anticipated time you will be out of work, and a description of the nature of the disability.

However, there are limitations when No-Fault pays your lost wages. No-Fault will only pay 80% of your lost wages up to a maximum of $2,000 per month. In addition, No-Fault will only pay lost wages up to three years after the accident. Also, No-Fault will only pay up to $50,000 for payment of medical bills, lost wages and additional expenses related to the car accident.

You may purchase additional No-Fault coverage with your insurance company above the basic $50,000 required by law. APIP (Additional Personal Injury Protection) and OBEL (Optional Basic Economic Loss) are two options that will increase your protection beyond the statutory minimum.

APIP coverage may be purchased from your insurance company for lost wages, medical expenses or additional expenses. If your salary is above $2,500 per month, you may want to consider purchasing APIP for lost wages. Since No-Fault does not provide coverage above the 80% of your lost wages or the $2,000 per month maximum, you will not be compensated for your entire lost wages. OBEL coverage takes effect after you exhaust the initial $50,000 of basic economic loss.

For your protection, if you have not purchased APIP and OBEL, for the little additional premium, you should seriously consider obtaining this additional insurance coverage. If you would like to talk to an attorney about an injury you sustained in a motor vehicle accident, please call Bethany Nicoletti, Alicia Loomis, or Patricia Stegemann at Meggesto, Crossett & Valerino, LLP at (315) 471-1664.

Contact Us Today