The first steps you take after a car crash are critical. Don’t fall into the trap of not doing anything... or doing the wrong thing! This can have a detrimental impact on your claim against the negligent driver. Here are some helpful hints the MCV Law Personal Injury attorneys recommend to our clients to make sure they protect themselves:
- Seek immediate medical attention. First and foremost, this is most important to make sure that you get the medical care you need. But it is also critical because it provides the documentation of your injuries that is necessary to move forward with your claim.
- Report the accident. Make sure you report the accident to the local police department and DMV immediately. The accident report that gets generated contains important information about the accident, including the names and contact information of the parties involved, and is an important piece of evidence in your claim. The police will give you the Accident Information Exchange form at the accident scene. This has important insurance and contact information.
- Take photos and/or video. Photos/video taken immediately following a car crash can make or break a case. We recommend taking immediate photos of the vehicle, the accident scene, any damage to the vehicle(s) involved, any damage to surrounding structures, and any injuries.
- File a claim: You should file an immediate claim with your auto insurance carrier... even if you are not the driver at fault. Your auto insurance will provide coverage for lost wages and medical care. Also file an immediate claim with the insurance company for the other driver. You will have this information from the Accident Information Exchange Form the police gave you at the accident scene.
- Contact an attorney. An experienced attorney can provide guidance on how to protect yourself and obtain the best possible outcome for you. An experienced attorney will also be knowledgeable in insurance coverages and can advise whether a lawsuit is worth filing or if another action is more appropriate.
A car accident can be a traumatic and stressful experience. Taking these steps and getting the right information, guidance and legal representation, will help you navigate the process and protect yourself as best as possible. Contact MCV Law today for a free consultation.